Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Brewpub Visit: Dunedin Brewery

Brewery/Brewpub: Dunedin Brewery
When: 2014-01-21
Where: 937 Douglas Ave, Dunedin, Florida
Favorite Ale: Apricot Peach Ale
Notes: 

These folks claim to be Florida’s oldest craft brewery.  They are located in a funky and fun, sort of industrial yet friendly, fairly small and cozy space.  They had a stage which would have been busy right after we left.  Food and service were good, and I really enjoyed my Mahi-mahi wrap.  Celina and I did eight tasters.  Here are my thoughts, presented briefly:

  • Dram Alter Belgian Gold: supposedly with raisins but I could not taste any, just OK.
  • Apricot Peach Ale:  this one was awesome, I brought some home in bottles.  Serious fruit flavors and aromas, smooth easy drinking.  A great ale.
  • RazzBeery Ale: very good.
  • Red Ale: ho hum.
  • Pale Ale: pretty good, medium hop with a very mild citrus flavor.  I brought home a bottle of a Hemp and Mango version for later tasting.  It is an hour drive back to Dade City this evening and 20 oz of tasters (each) is plenty for now.
  • The Noggin, Black Cherry Pale Ale: good, smooth, but no cherry.
  • Nitro Stout: very good, dry and roasty
  • Mundofolbick Imperial Stout: good



It would have been wonderful to have this place close by when we had lived in Palm Harbor in the late 80s.

Update, 2014-01-24: I've opened the Hemp and Mango Pale Ale.  Is the use of Hemp in foods and other products a gimmick?  Well, maybe, but, while I found the taste of this ale a bit strange at first, it certainly grows on you.  There is no noticeable mango flavor on my palate, but the hemp provides an interesting addition to the flavor profile of this ale.  I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment