Saturday, July 26, 2014

Our first mod: 12V Outlets in Truck Camper

I completed a little project in our Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper late in July 2014. Over the last few trips I found that I needed power for charging my computer at the dinette table and at the head of the bed to charge my phone and tablet. 


I installed a single 12V outlet under the table tapping power from the heavy refrigerator line. Access to the line was from under the bench that backs up to the fridge.  I have to use an inverter to get the 110V AC needed for my laptop's charger. No 12V charger is available. I find that it charges well this way and makes no appreciable impact on the camper's two AGM batteries. 

I also installed a pair of 12V outlets taking power from the lamp at the head of the bed. I pulled the staples from the box protecting the back of the lamp but only after drilling holes for screws so I could reinstall the box in its original location. 

I used Blue Sea Systems 12V DC Sockets along with 1/4" heavy duty female right angle disconnects from an automotive supply. 10 gauge wire was used under the table and 14 gauge at the head of the bed.

Here are some images with additional explanations:

Inside the dinette's bench backing up to the refrigerator

Above is the 12V DC Socket added beneath the dinette.  Power is coming from the line going to the refrigerator. The heavy red and white 10 gauge wires are the ones that were tapped. I added a 1x4 block of wood to reinforce the hole.  It is held in place by a combination of glue, the nut on the back of the socket and the two screws that hold the cover plate on.

12V DC Socket added below the AC Outlet under the dinette

View of the back of the pair of 12V DC sockets in the right hand side closet

The white box protects the back of the light.  Power comes to it via 16 gauge red and white wires and the light has a 14 gauge pigtail.  I tied in with my own 14 gauge pair.  I also reinforced the socket holes with a 1x4 which is glued in place as well as being held by the nut on the back of the socket and the screws on the cover plate. Grey tie downs and wire ties were added as this is inside the closet and I don't want clothing or hangars interfering with the wires.  The box extends well beyond the depth of the connectors.  The box was originally held in place with staples on two sides but I have replaced the staples with four screws.

The 12V DC sockets at the head of the bed

As you can nearly read, the sockets came from Blue Sea Systems and I ordered them via Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment